Sunday, May 16, 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: I think I hate the software development industry? Am I crazy?

Ask HN: I think I hate the software development industry? Am I crazy?
48 by goodbyeworld37 | 31 comments on Hacker News.
I can’t stand software development. I hate the work, hate the people, the culture, etc. The idea of continuing this until for many more decades is sickening. Additionally I’ve pigeonholed myself into an area of the industry that’s is particularly draining (though not for the reasons you may thing). Money is not a huge concern to me, but if I’m going to have to do something I hate 8+ hours a day, I would at least to prefer to be making enough money to distract me from it. I’m not anywhere near there at the moment. I’ve considered maybe just doing the leetcode circus and trying to land mind numbing FAANG job so I can at least have the luxury of otherwise unheard of money. But it’s not ideal and I’m not sure I’d be cut out for it. I’ve never been a particularly good software developer compared to many of the people I’ve interacted with. I’d gladly accept less money (within reason) to work on something that excites me, but that’s about the least likely scenario, between the narrow and poorly definable category of what I would find enticing and the basically impossible to obtain requirements on the fee jobs I do see. I’ve considered going back to school, to try something else, and was actually very close, in fact I nearly registered for classes. But I can’t afford it: not the monetary cost, not the time cost. If I could magically pull tens of thousands of dollars out of my ass tomorrow maybe, or if I wouldn’t be well into my 30s by the time I finished, it would be a different situation. Even then it’s unheard to go from software to anything I’d be interested in.

No comments:

Post a Comment