Wednesday, April 21, 2021

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How is a company like Comcast able to get away with Spam?

Ask HN: How is a company like Comcast able to get away with Spam?
6 by jc_811 | 2 comments on Hacker News.
I recently signed up for Comcast Xfinity internet (only one available in my area), and ever since I signed up I receive marketing emails almost daily that do not have an unsubscribe link because they are marked as "service related emails". I've unsubscribed from every single email preference in my account, and even went so far to confirm with their support agents that I did it correctly. However, almost daily I receive emails about "See what your wifi can do" or "Don't forget about these new features" etc, that are clearly marketing and not service related. Browsing forums online it seems there are countless others who have the same complaints as me. So, my main question is, how can a company get away with this when it is blatantly in violation of the CAN-SPAM Act? Is it truly just too difficult for any individual to hire a lawyer and go up against Goliath? Does the CAN-SPAM act have any loopholes I'm not aware of that would allow this? I'm genuinely curious to this, and do not want to come off as just an angry customer ranting.

No comments:

Post a Comment