Monday, May 27, 2019

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: I want to build a company,how to work towards the goal while employed?

Ask HN: I want to build a company,how to work towards the goal while employed?
11 by mr_puzzled | 0 comments on Hacker News.
I will start a job as a software dev and with the job offer comes a bunch of contract clauses that basically lets the company own all IP while employed. I am from a third world country, so I won't be able alter the contract clauses. With these restrictions in place, what can I do while employed to have a better chance of succeeding when I do start a company? My plan : - continue learning while on the job - prepare for interviews so that I can apply to companies that are friendly to side projects (stripe, gitlab, github and a bunch of other such companies. Please mention companies that are ok with remote workers and are side project friendly, even startups paying $30,000 work for me) - build side projects in my free time that demonstrate my skills - maybe participate in Pioneer.app tournaments so I can network - basically work on stuff that won't become a company - once I get a job at a more side project friendly company, I'll start working on my ideas. As you can see, it's quite a shitty situation to not be able to pursue my side projects that could become companies, but it is what it is and I want to make the most of the next year or so. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment