Sunday, December 30, 2018

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: How can I make the most out of high school?

Ask HN: How can I make the most out of high school?
7 by TheAsprngHacker | 2 comments on Hacker News.
I'm in high school. Soon, I will be in college. Before, I’ve focused mainly on studying and pursuing solitary passions, but not doing social activities. However, I now feel that I'm missing out on typical teenager life, and I'll have regrets when I'm an adult. I just watched an anime following a group of close friends in a band as they pass through high school. I've seen people online state that the anime reminded them of their own high school lives, but it doesn't remind me of my current life at all; it's way too carefree and fun. My online friends have told me that they don't have close friends either, so my life is normal. Today, I saw this: http://bit.ly/2SrB9oN. Granted, the person is saying that they don't relate to looking back on high school. However, the topic is about common things that one can’t relate to, and some repliers said that their own HS lives were carefree. Now, I again feel I am missing something. I like programming, and I've become interested in type theory. I doubt that other people in my school care about this stuff. I take art class, but it's a solitary activity between me and my teacher, not together with other students. I don't know how to make close friends. I can talk to people, but I can't suddenly form a close relationship with somebody. Friendship can’t be forced; it develops naturally. Yet, I've never made a close, loyal friendship, only casual friendships. Before, I've been looking forward to college so I can study my interests. Now, I feel afraid of ending high school. Is it normal that I don't have close friends and that I'm solitary? Am I missing out on anything? What hobbies do you advise me to adopt that I can do in a group, with camaraderie? Will college be the same or different than high school? Can I have the same kind of youthful fun when I'm an adult?

No comments:

Post a Comment